Ep22 – Making a Good First Impression with Video Interviews with Liz M. Lopez
The Growing Your Team Podcast
As a business owner, what are your first thoughts when you think of interviews?
If you’re like most business owners, one of the first things you think of when going through the process is finding the best candidate for your opening. You think of yourself interviewing others.
However, interviews are a two-way street. Not only is the candidate making an impression on you, but you are also making an impression on the candidate. That first impression will impact whether they later accept a job offer, and what they will tell their network about your company – the good, the bad, and the ugly.
In this episode of the Growing Your Team podcast, Liz M. Lopez shares how to make a good first impression from both a candidate’s perspective and an interviewer’s perspective. She is also sharing with us how to master video interviews so we can make great hiring decisions even when we can’t meet with a candidate face-to-face.
Disclaimer: Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that if you choose to make a purchase through the links provided, I will earn a commission that comes at no additional cost to you.
About Liz M. Lopez:
Liz M. Lopez is a valued Career & Business Coach, bestselling author, and celebrated speaker who ignites audiences by showing them their own potential and creating a clear path to accomplishing their true objectives.
After an award-winning 15 year corporate career, Liz launched her own company, Captivate Your Audience in 2007. In 2014, Liz co-founded the Keystone Mastermind Alliance with Tracie Thompson, an organization that is breaking barriers in mastermind-based networking for small businesses.
Liz has worked with thousands of Professionals, Business Owners, Entrepreneurs, and Corporate Groups to identify goals, set the right mindset, build practical systems, and practice fierce accountability to achieve unprecedented success in careers and business.
In this episode, you’ll hear:
- How Liz helps anyone in a transition (which can be a transition within your own company) become intentional about the moves they are making to grow their careers and businesses. (4:50)
- Some of the top things you need to worry about when you prepare to be on camera for a video interview outside of what you wear. (8:08)
- Why video interviews are going to be a popular choice for companies for a long time. (12:08)
- How the first impression you put off during video interviews as the interviewer can impact the quality of candidates who are willing to say yes to the job. (12:50)
- More tips for acing video interviews as both an interviewer and an interviewee. (And yes, you need to wear pants!) (16:55)
- Whether video interviews allow you to learn more or less about a candidate than in-person interviews. (19:04)
- What has left a negative impression with some of Liz’s clients when they have interviewed for a job. (23:53)
- Why you need to avoid trying to hire the “French Chef who’s also good at Plumbing.” (27:34)
How to Connect with Liz M. Lopez:
Keystone Mastermind Alliance: https://kmanetwork.com
Purchase Liz’s Course – 5 Steps to Securing a Leadership Role
Learn more and enroll in 5 Steps to Securing a Leadership Role here.
Do you need help navigating the hiring process so you ensure you are making the best hiring decisions for your small business?
Schedule your free Hiring Jump-Start call. During this free call, we will talk about where you are in the hiring process and what your hiring needs are. If there’s a match, I’ll share how I can help you navigate the process so you take the right steps and select the best team member for your company.
Book your call here.
Subscribe and Review:
Have you subscribed to the Growing Your Team podcast yet? If not, subscribe today so you never miss a future episode.
I have so much information to share with you. Plus, I have a long line of guests who you will not want to miss!
Also, if you have not done so yet, please leave a review! By leaving a review, you help other small business owners find this podcast and give them the knowledge to grow and lead their team members.
You’re stuck in the cycle of having enough work to be successful but not enough time to grow your business.
You know you need help but you’re not sure what help is best.
You need the three-part method for finding the right person who will save you time and earn you more by getting the right work off your plate.